Psychiatric Home Health
Psychiatric Services at Memorial Hospital of Martinsville and Henry County provides in-home management and coordination of care for adult patients with psychiatric diagnoses. As a link in the continuum of care of Psychiatric Services and HomeCare at Memorial Hospital, Psychiatric Home Health is coordinated by a registered nurse experienced in the assessment and treatment of mental disorders such as depression, problems with adjustment, anxiety and confusion.
Care is overseen by the patient's own physician or psychiatrist.
Cost Effective Treatment
By coordinating Psychiatric Home Health with the patient's overall treatment plan, lengthy hospital stays for treating psychiatric problems can be reduced. Fewer ER visits and hospitalizations are required due to emotional support and medical assistance provided by the visiting nurse. Patients are assisted in making a smoother transition from hospitalization to home.
Criteria For Services
- The patient's paramount problem is mental and/or emotional
- The patient is homebound and in need of skilled care
- The patient is 18 years or older
- The patient is under the care of a physician who accepts responsibility for the medical management of the patient
- Psychiatric and medical evaluations
- Medication assessment and education
- Suicidal and safety assessment
- Instruction regarding coping, relaxation and stress management techniques
- Lab draws and monitoring of values
- Intramuscular administration of psychotrophic medications
- Community resource education
- 24 hour on call nursing
Arranging For Services
Individuals may be referred for Psychiatric Home Health by health professionals, mental health professionals or individuals/ families themselves. An assessment will be arranged to determine if the patient meets criteria for services.
For a referral or for further information, call Psychiatric Services. Toll Free 888-217-9127 or 540-634-4911 or HomeCare 540-634-1950.